Welcome to my Crime and Justice blog! I am a 19 year old criminal justice student at the University of Winnipeg. I advocate for prisoners' rights, human rights, equality and criminal justice/prison system reforms.

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Winnipeg's second homicide in River East

Winnipeg police are investigating what is apparently the city's second homicide of the year.
Police received a report of two males fighting on Stuart Avenue in the 200-block of Stuart Avenue in the River East area of the city about 12:30 a.m. Saturday.
A male suffering upper body injuries was transported by ambulance to hospital, where he later died of his injuries.
Several people were removed from the residence Saturday morning and were being interviewed. The Winnipeg Police Service's homicide unit is now investigating.
Did you witness the incident, or do you know any of the people involved? If so, and you are willing to speak to a reporter, please call the Winnipeg Sun at 632-2780 or e-mail adam.clayton@sunmedia.ca.

WINNIPEG — Police are investigating a death after an overnight assault in North Kildonan.
Media reports indicate a man was taken to hospital after he was assaulted in the 200 block of Stuart Avenue.
The man died from his injuries.

Man dies following Winnipeg house fight
One man is dead following an early morning fight Saturday in a home in Winnipeg's North Kildonan district, police say.
Police were called to a home on Stuart Avenue around 12:30 a.m. CT where two men were involved in some sort of altercation.
One of the men was taken to the hospital, reportedly in stable condition.
However, police said the man died in hospital.
An autopsy has been ordered to find out how he died. No name or age was provided.
Police said a number of people who were in the house where the fight broke out were being questioned.

Father of five bashed with bottle
City police are investigating a possible homicide after a man died Saturday morning following a fight with a party-crasher during a birthday bash at his North Kildonan home.
The victim — identified by his family as 44-year-old Garth Isfeld — in what might be Winnipeg’s second homicide of the year succumbed in hospital, hours later, to injuries suffered at the scene on Stuart Avenue.
“At the time it appeared to be relatively minor injuries,” said Winnipeg police spokesman Const. Blair Good, noting officers responded to a call from the bungalow about 12:30 a.m.
“He was at the hospital for several hours before his condition worsened and he died.”
Police could not confirm, however, that the man was the victim of a homicide because they had not made a firm link between his initial injuries and his death.
“They’re not ready to say it’s a homicide. Initially, the injuries did not seem that severe,” Good said. “The homicide unit is investigating.”
Police had no confirmed suspect Saturday, though officers took several people away for questioning after arriving at the home.
Isfeld and some of his family, which includes five children, recently moved into the rental house in the 200-block of Stuart.
The violence stemmed from anger at an uninvited guest at the party, which reportedly marked the 18th birthday of one of Isfeld’s daughters.
Good had no details on Isfeld’s initial injuries, but his family told CTV Winnipeg he was hit in the head with a beer bottle.
As investigators scoured the property amid dozens of evidence markers on its front porch and lawn, one neighbour said the commotion among “about 20 people outside the house” as the party turned violent was frightening.
“I was woken up by loud screams,” the man said, refusing to give his name. “It sounded like they just wanted some people to leave. People wouldn’t leave when asked to.”
At one point, the man said, he had heard “a young kid screaming, ‘Daddy, daddy — get up.’ And somebody said, ‘I only hit him once.’ ”
Minutes later, he said, several people ran down the street while “screaming that the cops were coming,” before police arrived and took some away in handcuffs.
Hours later police had placed some evidence markers on lawns across the street from the house, though Good said the man’s injuries were sustained in his house.

Brother vows to take care of siblings after dad's death
A Winnipeg father of five died in hospital after being struck over the head with a beer bottle by a man who crashed his daughter’s 18th birthday party early Saturday, family members say.
Relatives identified the victim as Garth Isfeld, 44, who they say got into a fight with a man who had been asked to leave the party.
They say the violence occurred as Isfeld stepped in to protect another daughter from the man.
Isfeld threw a barbecue at his house to celebrate the birthday of his daughter, Stephanie Krasnesky, after recently moving into the home on Stuart Avenue in North Kildonan.
Family members say Isfeld was rushed to hospital, he developed blood clots and his condition worsened before he died.
Isfeld’s daughter Stephanie curled up in a chair and sobbed, her family leaning over to touch and hug her, as she spoke Saturday about what happened to her father.
“I just saw him on the ground and he was rolling his eyes back in,” she said. “There was so much blood everywhere. I just grabbed a pillow and put it around his head.”
Randall Krasnesky, 22, holding his sister’s hand, says he’ll do everything he can to support his remaining siblings who have been left without a father.
“They got me, and I’ll look after them,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment