Welcome to my Crime and Justice blog! I am a 19 year old criminal justice student at the University of Winnipeg. I advocate for prisoners' rights, human rights, equality and criminal justice/prison system reforms.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Teen gang member charged in Winnipeg shooting, also tied to 2008 death

A 19-year-old man arrested in connection with a shooting that injured two young girls in Winnipeg's West End was involved in a shooting death two years ago.
CBC News is not naming the man, in order to report on the previous incident, which happened when he was a youth.
He was charged Friday with attempted murder and several weapons-related offences for two shooting incidents that occurred this week.

But in 2008, when he was 17, he was convicted after pleading to a charge of careless use of a firearm in the death of Cody Shuya, 13.
Shuya and the older teen broke into a Home Street garage on Feb. 23, 2008, and found a loaded pellet gun. They struggled for control of the gun but in the process, it went off and a shot pierced Shuya's eye and lodged in his brain.
He died the following day.
A charge of criminal negligence causing death was dropped by the court against the older teen in exchange for his plea.
At the time of his arrest he was also wanted on a warrant for violating his probation from a prior theft conviction.

Sisters hurt in shooting

Now an adult, the man was charged for his involvement in a rash of violence in the city's West End.
On Wednesday, gunshots went through the window of a house at 542 Victor Street around 6 p.m., wounding a 10-year-old girl playing inside. Her eight-year-old sister suffered superficial injuries as a result of flying debris.
According to police Chief Keith McCaskill, the shooting was retaliation for a fatal shooting Tuesday afternoon on neighbouring Toronto Street.
Kyle Earl, 16, was sitting on the front porch of a home at 646 Toronto St. when two armed people started firing at them Tuesday afternoon.
Earl was hit in the upper and lower body and died. The 13-year-old was hit in the leg and survived.
The 19-year-old was also at the house at the time and chased after the alleged gunmen.
According to police, he started shooting on nearby Agnes Street, hitting two cars, neither of which was connected to the incident.
No one inside the vehicles was hurt.
The 19-year-old was on Victor Street Wednesday when he allegedly fired more shots, one of which went into the home of the girls, police said.

No comments:

Post a Comment