Welcome to my Crime and Justice blog! I am a 19 year old criminal justice student at the University of Winnipeg. I advocate for prisoners' rights, human rights, equality and criminal justice/prison system reforms.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Stop the execution of Dennis Miller on August 19th in PA!

Facts of the Crime:

Sentence of death imposed following his convictions for 1995 murder in the first degree, rape, indecent assault, recklessly endangering another person, possession of instruments of crime, and flight to avoid apprehension. The convictions stemmed from the killing of Miller’s wife Sherry.
Sentenced to Death 10/97.

I am expressing my concerns regarding the execution of Dennis Miller, scheduled for August 19th in PA. I believe that the death penalty constitutes cruel and unusual punishment and it directly violates universal human rights of the right to life and the right not to be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment/punishment. The death penalty is a form of state sanctioned murder and is revenge, not justice. Prison could accomplish public safety, without resorting to violence and death. Plus, the death penalty is extremely expensive and has been proven ineffective in reducing, deterring or preventing violent crime. I urge you to commute the death sentence of Dennis Miller to one of life imprisonment.

No comments:

Post a Comment