Welcome to my Crime and Justice blog! I am a 19 year old criminal justice student at the University of Winnipeg. I advocate for prisoners' rights, human rights, equality and criminal justice/prison system reforms.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Protest the execution of Derrick Jackson, scheduled for July 20th!

2 weeks to doom
On September 11, 1998, Jackson entered an man's apartment and used a metal bar to beat him. Jackson also used a knife to stab the victim to death. Jackson then beat and stabbed to death the victim's male roommate.
He then took the victim's car and was involved in a high-speed chase with the Houston Police Department, but was not captured.
Jackson was later arrested for the crime while he was in prison on an unrelated aggravated robbery charge.





Derrick Leon Jackson- Texas death row
It's hard to explain (especially here in Texas), but to be
honest, I personally would have preferred to have been murdered at the
time of sentencing.  I say this, not because I prefer to be dead (I
truly want to live with a passion).  I love life, but the appeals
process is no more than a torturous traumatizing path to a truly
saddenly sick end.  I believe in God, and believe me when I say that it
will be an "act of God" if I am ever to be a free man, but I do have
hope, and I pray.  I am a blessed man to have the insight that I do.  My
reality is a sick curse, for each and every individual it's different
(being on death row), but all of us are insane.  You have to lose a bit
of your sanity to maintain the rest of it, like a flu shot.  Every day I
accept the fact that it's OK for me to go just a little bit crazy to
keep from breaking down and losing it completely.

I don't have a wife or children, very much family, or many friends, and
it may seem strange to hear, but (for me) that's good, because of the
type of person that I am.  My existence is a very sick one.  Just last
night I got a visit from my younger brother.  I wrote him a letter a few
weeks ago being a bit desperate and demanding.that he come visit.  I
personally feel he should come every week, but I realize that no one
owes me nothing, and that he has a life to live in a crazy world.  He
told me I should write to my mother, father, step mother, and aunts
(most of them have never been to visit me) so that they could feel
guilty (I guess he was feeling guilty).  I would never try to make a
person feel guilty in this way, especially not those I love, even though
they seem to have forgotten about me or maybe just don't know how to
deal with seeing me here trapped in a miserable existence.  My two
younger brothers and my mother are all I can consider my family at this
point in my life.  I'm from a poor family, so there is very little
(nearly nothing) that they can do financially, but the moral support, no
matter how painful, is my reason for existence.  I feel their pain and
frustration, and I can see it in their eyes, but they are all I have,
and living daily in solitary confinement cells is another madness that a
man must deal with that has nothing to do with the death penalty.

Here on the Polunsky unit here in Livingston, Texas, extreme deprivation
is used to punish, control, and dehumanize a man.  Mental games are
played by most of the guards (including ranking officers) that a
prisoner daily comes in contact with.  You no longer have human and /or
civil rights.  Personally I've felt as if I am a part of a sick
experiment.  To have a healthy conscious mind is a beautiful gift to all
humans, and to use it is a gift to our world.  To attempt to take or
destroy this gift is criminal.  How can I say being a death row
prisoner?  What if I can tell you that I'm not guilty?  The fact is, I'm
not!!!  Another fact is that I can't prove it, and that's why I am
here!  Two people I know nothing of or about were brutally beaten and
stabbed to death - that was proven at my trial.  Politics' corruption,
me being poor, naive, ignorant to the unjust system in Texas is why I am
sitting here writing these words and not living as I should be, but
merely existing.

I feel that the justice system and society have let me down.  The
oppression that is my life, I cannot describe.  I won't let it control
me,  I can't, so at times, I go a little bit crazy, just so I can cope.
I'm a very positive person.  I love to see people smile, and whenever
possible, I will share one.  There are definitely times that I will
smile to keep from crying.  I feel that everyone deals with or has dealt
with tragedy at some point and time in their lives (these experiences
define us individually).  Not too many people can choose the way they
leave the face of the earth, and on one lives forever.  As I've said, I
love to live life and to love, but I'm not afraid to die.

I have no sense of panic or distress as I sit on death row now.  People
die daily.  Every day takes a positive focus, and I'm going to try to be
the son my parents raised to Love, the brother my brothers have Loved as
we've grown, and the man I am proud to be.  I'm going to do this with
not very much more than "sickness" - sickness that is my reality.  I
suffer from diabetes and must take two insulin shots daily, but this
sickness that is the system is what is taking its toll on me and many
others who sit on death row.

Texas is the execution capital of the world!  I'm not able to give you
specifics and statistics (for those who are interested, they are made
known by other sources).  I am writing this to express as well as
inform, and I can inform you that Texas is out of control.  Anybody
(anyday) that is a speaker of acting on the death penalty should be
speaking of and acting on Texas.  This is nothing less than mass murder
going on here!!  I know, more than many, of the corrupt, powerful,
political structure.  Then add the money, and it definitely makes for a
seemingly impossible fight to win (for justice), but I see it (Texas) as
a big bully picking on kids.  Sure one bully can bully one, two, even
three or more kids, but when or if all the kids come, they the bully
finds it more reasonable to back off and go away.  I basically have no
help in my situation, and I often will hear people say or get a letter
from someone advising me to organize - put those who are willing to help
in contact with each other.  I pass that advice on to all reading these
words who are truly sincere.  There are probably more groups and
organizations that are not doing what they should or could do to help us
(condemned men) in effective ways.  A lot is said that sounds good, and
men are being murdered here in Texas so regularly that it's seemingly
acceptable.  Prisoners who've had no proper defense during trial,
legally retarded men, men that have been set up by aggressive state
prosecutors (that are elevated in the political structure according to
their number of convictions), are being murdered.  They are killing men
here that have compelling evidence of innocence - not hearing the valid
arguments of the accused or convicted.  Defense attorneys appointed by
the courts (if they are sincere) are disgracefully underpaid and not
allowed the advantage of investigators, etc. to fight for justice.  It
is not even required by the Texas courts for the court appointed
attorneys to even defend their clients here in Texas now.  These are the
things that are causing the deaths of many men here in Texas.  It is
going to take an organized effort by all those who are dedicated and
sincere to end this madness in Texas.  I won't and can't say which
organizations (or people) are not dedicated and sincere, but if "you
are", it shouldn't be long before "you know"!!  No one owes me or
anybody who is on death row anything, so I, on behalf of every man
facing the death penalty, thank you for everything that you do in
protest.  We here in Texas need focused persistent effective organized
measures to be immediately taken, or murder will continue.

PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO HELP STOP THE KILLING!!!

Please write me at:

Derrick Jackson #999263
Polunsky Unit
3872 FM 350 South
Livingston, TX 77351


     Justice for Jackson is a non-profit International Campaign to raise support for the legal
     defense of Derrick Leon Jackson, a young man who was wrongly accused and     convicted of a double homicide that took place nearly 10 years prior to his     indictment/conviction. Derrick Jackson now sits on Texas Death Row and awaits the     appeal process and possibly an execution date.
     How did Mr. Jackson end up in this position? According to the states prosecution team     “Old Science and New Science”. Not facts but the Texas Judicial Systems version of     Science. The truth is that only scientific possibilities and a biased Texas Justice System     gone totally out of control is the reason Mr. Jackson has been put in this position.
     Here are some facts that may interest you:
     - Mr. Jackson is a convicted felon/victim of the Texas war on crime, which has paid his     debt to society, but not a murderer.
     - Mr. Jackson was charged with this crime 9 years after it was committed due to a     computer-automated fingerprint.
     - This system revealed that Mr. Jackson’s fingerprint as well as 7 other individuals was     possible matches to the one that was left at the scene of the crime.
     - That the individual who did this matching testified in open court that Mr. Jackson’s     fingerprint was not a positive match to the one left at the scene of the crime.
     - That Mr. Johnny Holmes, former District Attorney, Harris County, for the state of     Texas, is responsible for 42% of the Texas Death Row population and also responsible     for the tragic injustice done to Mr. Jackson and his family.
     - Mr. Holmes and those in his jurisdiction (city officials) have been under fire for being     guilty of and known for manufacturing evidence such as: evidence tampering, delivery     of false reports and testimonies in capital murder trials and death penalty cases. He     makes these requests through the states powerful, influential, and aggressive     bloodthirsty attorneys appointed to prosecute these cases.
     - Such was the case during Mr. Jackson’s trial. An example of this is that an expert     witness for the prosecution who testified to Mr. Jackson’s guilt due to the results of her     DNA lab work. Minutes later, while being questioned by the defense counsel, she,     Mrs. Childs, admitted to falsifying the DNA test results in her reports, and just prior     lying to the jurors. When questioned as to why, she answered that it was at the request     of her superiors in the attempt to convict Mr. Jackson. She said and I quote “I was just     doing my job”
     Old Science (fingerprinting), and New Science (DNA). No facts, no witnesses, no     concrete evidence, only at best the possibility of circumstantial evidence.
     Here are some facts, as well as other issues brought forth in Mr. Jackson’s appeal:
     The presiding Judge Burdette, over stepped his boundaries when he expressed his     personal opinion to the jury and further more by repeatedly refusing to accept notes     from the jury that they were dead-locked and could not agree on a verdict that would     eventually send Mr. Jackson to death row. Here is a direct quote from Judge Burdette,     “ you are here to do a job. You will do it so come back with a verdict.” He also     refused several times, motions from Mr. Jackson’s lawyers requesting a mistrial as the     injustices of the trial developed which are as follows”
     - The lack of insufficient evidence to prove Mr. Jackson’s guilt. Hard core basic     evidence required putting a man on death row.
     - The legal constitutionality of the death penalty as it is applied in this case.
     - Mr. Jackson’s Constitutional Civil Rights being violated.
     Currently Derrick Leon Jackson sits on death row and as of May 26/00 has lost his     first appeal. In addition to Mr. Jackson’s legal problems he suffers from a well-known     condition called diabetes and is financially unable to provide for himself to maintain his     health.
     Many who read this will find all of this information hard to believe because we as a     society have a tendency to brush off distasteful issues such as this. Please I ask that you     take the time to read further and consider this:
     - Texas has executed more people in the last 4 years than all other states combined in     the same amount of time. Are we to believe that their Judicial System is superior to that     of everywhere else? So superior that it has no flaws?
     - The same judge who has made sure that Mr. Jackson’s place of residence is death     row has appointed Mr. Jackson’s appeal attorneys.
     - That a Motto of the “Good Old Boys” in Texas is: “We would rather kill 10 innocent     men than to let one guilty man live”.
     We need your help to save the life of this innocent man as he awaits his fate. A     non-profit International Campaign, Justice for Jackson, to raise funds and support for     Mr. Jackson. Money is needed to secure proper legal representation. Organizational     support is needed to insure a proper legal defense as well as proper up keep for his     medical condition. Legal Assistance is needed. We are asking for this support through     any donations that can be made so Mr. Jackson’s fate is not left in the hands of those     who have already condemned him to die. Mr. Jackson and his family are victims of a     blood thirsty, barbaric, biased Justice system that is totally out of control.
     If you wish to make an donation in support of this mans legal defense,
     please do so by way of U.S. postal,or International money orders only,
     made payable to his mother, Rita Everline, Co Chairperson and treasurer
     as follows:
     Rita Everline  #4424
     11315 Fondren
     Houston, Texas
     77035 USA
     Please do not send any donations directly to Mr. Jackson at the prison.
     He will not be allowed to have it.
     Those interested in offering any organizational, legal, investigative,
     assistance or advice, or support through way of friendship,
     see his pen pal requests and contact information below...
   
                DERRICK LEON JACKSON'S PEN PAL REQUEST:
I am a 31 year old black male incarcerated on Texas' death row in Huntsville.
I would very much like to correspond with a pen pal in the hopes of building a truly genuine friendship, that I am very much in need of. I would prefer females 25-45, but men are equally welcomed to respond to this letter. Race/ ethnic or religious background are of no concern to me, only that the person responding is open to regular correspondence and building on a true friendship. Now to tell you a little about myself, I am a very easy going open minded person. I am very God fearing and optimistic, and I am a leader by nature. I am a very honest person and those are the types of people I choose to associate myself with.
I am from a very small family, and I am the oldest of  3 boys. I am a chef/ cook, and a barber stylist by trade, I am college educated, and very business minded.
I am a serious person, but I do have a sense of humor, and i enjoy nothing more
than to see a person smile. I am a people person, but I mostly enjoy interaction
with females on all levels.     My interests are basic, although I do enjoy the finer
things in life, the simple things are just as important to me.  I like mostly all sports, basketball and football are my favorites. I'm interested in mostly all
kinds of music and music videos. I like good movies, mostly romantic and comedy and I love to read good books and poetry. I enjoy all forms of basic social entertainment. Although I never married and don't have the pleasure
of having any of my own, I love children. In closing, I would like to thank you
very much for taking the time to read this introductory letter. Please be assured
that if you choose to respond, I will be open and totally honest to any inquiry that you may have for me. I hope to hear from you very soon in the hopes of establishing regular correspondence and more importantly, a true friendship.
                                                       
                Mr. Derrick L. Jackson #999263
                             Polunsky Unit
                         3872 FM 350 South
                         Livingston, Texas
                               77351  USA


Execution Watch
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm
Execution
 








Condemned in 1998 for the stabbing deaths of Houston Grand Opera tenors Richard Alan Wrotenbery and Forrest G. Henderson, both 31, during an apparent robbery in their Houston apartment 10 years earlier. Jackson, formerly of Missouri City, was linked to the slayings by DNA evidence and a bloody fingerprint on the apartment door. The discovery of widespread problems at the HPD crime lab led investigators from the Harris County District Attorney's office in 2003 to order a retesting of the evidence in Jackson's case.

jj

No comments:

Post a Comment